Built on a small hill that overlooks the area of the Salt Lake, the quaint stone-built chapel of Agios Georgios Makris dates back to the 13th century when it was the church of the Medieval village of Agrinou, and serves as a miniature piece of late Byzantine architecture.
The village and the church were destroyed by the Egyptian Mameluks, who invaded in 1426, and also captured the Lusignan King Janos. The church was soon repaired and the king was freed, but an annual tax was paid to the Mameluks until the Ottoman occupation.
The church served as a monastery in the 18th-19th centuries, but the annexed structures were demolished in the 20th century, thus restoring the original setting of the church. A wall painting of the saint still survives on the north wall.