Convent of Sisters of St. Joseph of the Apparition, founded by French misssionary nuns in 1844. With a beautiful Latin architecture, the convent's history and style impose on the nearby Parides Square.
The sisters of this French Convent have a long history of philanthropic services and an invaluable contribution in the education of the city’s young girls, as the convent’s secondary school for girls operated from 1845 till the late 1980’s. The convent was famous for its hospital, which was started by Doctor Joseph Irenee Foblant and sister Sophie Chambon, the first nurse on the island who dedicated her life to the service of all Cypriots.
The small metal monument which represents a fountain and a pelican in front of the convent is devoted by the town to sister Chambon for her invaluable services. The pelican is used symbolically due to the fact that when this bird cannot find food for its chicks, it offers them to drink from its own blood at the risk dying.